Message from ACC Singapore Chapter President, Terry Thornley
I am honored to be your incoming President for the Singapore Chapter in 2022. I want to first acknowledge the leadership provided by Mark Wentz, Jasmine Karimi and the full Board last year through an uncertain and rapidly changing environment. I also would like to thank the nominating committee for running a thoughtful and detailed process that led to a terrific slate this year.
The new Board of 2022 (listed HERE) includes vice-president James Collison, secretary Jasmine Karimi, treasurer David Blanco Jimenez and board members Maree Myerscough, Nathalia Lossovska, Julien Willème and Christopher Y. Chan.
Please join me in also welcoming our 3 newest additions to the Board: Nicola Fell, Jiajun Han and David Sullivan.
- Many of you might know Nicola, the Head of Legal Operations Intercontinental, Global Pharmaceuticals at GlaxoSmithKline. She’s been an active member of the ACC in Singapore including in her role as the Co-Chair of the Women’s Committee. We look forward to Nicky’s vision and contribution to the ACC Singapore Board.
- Jiajun, the Counsel, SEA at Johnson Controls Singapore Pte Ltd came with strong recommendations from a handful of members. He has deep connections in the Singapore legal community, and we are excited for Jiajun to bring his insights and ideas to the ACC Singapore Board.
- David, the Legal Director, APAC at GroupM Worldwide Inc. is no stranger to the ACC, having previously served in the ACC Australia Chapter, the largest ACC chapter in APAC. We look forward to David’s experience and learnings as we seek further growth for the ACC Singapore Chapter.
I know and have built relationships with many of you through the ACC, but for those that I have not met, let me share with you my path towards becoming involved with this great organization. I started my legal career in Chicago where I initially joined the ACC Chicago Chapter and learned first-hand the value of the ACC community. During this time, I attended the US Annual meeting in Boston and then in Los Angeles, completed the ACC’s Mini-MBA for In-House Counsel at Boston University, and volunteered with the Chapter’s Street Law program (teaching legal classes at an underprivileged school). Given this background, when I moved to Singapore the ACC Singapore Chapter was the logical first place to go to develop a network of likeminded in-house lawyers, to attend legal education events, and to volunteer and give back to the Singapore legal community. However, the one thing that stands out the most for me about this ACC Singapore Chapter, is that the members are so friendly and welcoming, and, as a result, I have developed many close friends in the Chapter.
As I now look back and take stock over the past year for the Chapter, it is apparent that we were able to make great strides despite significant external headwinds. Just a few of the many 2021 Chapter accomplishments include that we were able to host 17 events, we assisted United Women Singapore to develop their first GenSafe Workplaces Information Handbook, we launched a wellness initiative to support our members through the global health crisis, and we created the ACC Singapore Connect WhatsApp Chat where our members connect, ask legal questions, and discuss relevant in-house topics. If you are interested and have not yet joined the ACC Singapore Connect WhatsApp Chat, you can reach out to our Executive Director, Caroline McConnon at email@example.com
We listened to the member survey responses collected at the 2021 Summer Party and moving forward in 2022 the Board’s and my priorities will be focused on content and community. Specifically, we plan to:
(1) concentrate our 2022 programming based on our memberships’ interests to grow personally and professionally
(2) implement new initiative and further improve ongoing programs that allow our members to network, connect, and discuss in-house legal topics online and in-person, and
(3) actively cultivate our ties in the Singapore legal community.
If you have any ideas, suggestions, comments, or feedback, please contact me, any of the Board (listed HERE) or Caroline to convey your thoughts. If you want to make a difference, reach out to any of the Chairs of our various Committees or Caroline and let them know you want to get more involved.
Finally, I am looking forward to a fantastic 2022, and I am grateful for your partnership and dedication to our Chapter to make it all possible! I hope to see you soon at one of our upcoming in-person events!